Gluten-free Black Eyed Bean Casserole
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 2 Hours
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sliced
- 500g belly pork, rind removed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 6 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 mug water
- 1 chicken stock pot, see page ??
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 400g tin black eyed beans
- 3 slices GF bread made into breadcrumbs
- 50g melted butter
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- 4 potatoes
- 1 broccoli
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC fan oven/180ºC/gas 6.
- Heat the oil in a large hob to oven casserole dish and add the onion, celery and leek.
- Fry until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the chicken and pork and fry until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the thyme leaves, tomatoes, water, stock pot and tomato purée. Bring to the boil and mix well. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven, with a lid on, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, butter and basil. Take the casserole out of the oven, stir in the black-eyed beans and sprinkle the breadcrumb mix over the top. Return to the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut into 2cm chunks. Add to a pan of boiling water. Cut the stalks off the broccoli and chop quite small. Add to the potatoes and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the broccoli and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Drain and return to the pan with a good chunk of butter. Mash and serve with the casserole.