Cost: £0.17 / CAKE
Serves: 18 cakes
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- 250g block softened butter
- 1 mug sugar
- 4 eggs
- 11⁄2 mugs self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 100g butter (2⁄5 of a 250g block)
- 11⁄2 mugs icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk (if required)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC fan oven/200ºC/gas 6.
- Put 18 bun cases in the baking tins ready. Proper cake tins are really handy here.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until it turns pale cream and is quite fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well. Add the flour, don’t beat the mixture, but fold in the flour carefully Add 4 tablespoons of water.
- Divide the mixture between the bun cases. They should be quite full in order to ‘peak’ well.
- Place in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes. They should bounce back when pressed gently.
- Leave to cool before decorating.
- To make the butter cream, beat together the butter and icing sugar. If you want the icing to be softer, you can add some milk.
- Spread icing over the cooled cakes and decorate with whatever else you fancy.